September 30, 2020
As internationally recognized experts in the endoscopy community, Professor Lars Aabakken (Norway), Dr Nageshwar Reddy (India), and Professor Dong-Wan Seo (Korea), the Chairs of the WEO Pancreato-biliary Ad Hoc Committee, in collaboration with gastroenterologists and other clinical experts, will lead the way in advancing pancreatic and biliary endoscopy and bringing it to a higher level.
Professor Aabakken also serves as a member on several other WEO committees, including the newly established WEO Activities to Reach Africa (ARA) Project Ad Hoc Committee. He was WEO Secretary General 2017–2020, and has supported and initiated many successful WEO educational programs and courses, especially in the African continent.
Picture: Professor Lars Aabakken
Dr. Nageshwar Reddy (India) was Secretary-General and subsequently President of WEO from 2014 to2017. He served as President of ENDO 2017, WEO’s 1st World Congress of GI Endoscopy and continues to support WEO activities as Chair of the Steering Committee for ENDO 2022, WEO’s 3rd World Congress of GI Endoscopy that will take place May 13–15, 2022 in Kyoto, Japan.
Picture: Dr. Nageshwar Reddy
Professor Dong-Wan Seo (Korea) has been WEO Treasurer of since 2017 also served as Secretary General of WEO from 2013 to 2017, and as Chair of the Steering Committee of ENDO 2020, WEO’s 2nd World Congress of GI Endoscopy. He founded the WEO International School of EUS (WISE) and has been its International Course Director since its launch in 2018.
Picture: Professor Dong-Wan Seo
The WEO Pancreato-biliary (Pb) Ad Hoc Committee
ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) and EUS (endoscopic ultrasound) have emerged as major techniques for managing cholangiopancreatic diseases. Conditions that previously required surgical intervention can now be treated endoscopically.
The WEO Pancreato-biliary Ad hoc Committee focuses on topics and challenges related to pancreato-biliary procedures and on other endoscopic advances related cholangiopancreatic diseases. The Committee aims to promote innovation, training and research in pancreato-biliary diseases and procedures. The aims of the Committee are:
- To produce concise recommendations/guidelines, with a global perspective, and have a more practical approach.
- To promote training and practice guidelines with regional adaptations based on different socioeconomic settings and improving endoscopy quality and access to pancreatic-biliary procedures for patients in underserved regions.
- To review pancreato-biliary endoscopic advances, evaluate their clinical safety/efficacy, and promote their dissemination as appropriate.
- To provide more opportunities and access for advanced endoscopy training.
The education offers of the WEO Pancreato-biliary Committee are well-known and sought after, and include the following programs:
- WISE – WEO International School of EUS. This educational program was founded in 2018 and is a state-of-the-art EUS training program focused on teaching a specialized group of doctors in their early careers. The International Course Director of the one-year program is Professor Dong-Wan Seo (Korea).
- WEO Fellowship Program. The Fellowship Program was founded in 2019 in collaboration with high-volume Chinese endoscopy centers to offer opportunities for fully trained endoscopists to be trained in ERCP. Professors Aabakken, Reddy, and Seo are the International Program Directors.
The WEO Pancreato-biliary Ad hoc Committee is working on a second WEO worldwide online survey on ERCP training, in order to gather more information on the current status of training opportunities in ERCP around the globe. They will subsequently work on a curriculum for ERCP training.
The Committee would be pleased to learn about current ERCP training opportunities in your country. Therefore, if your endoscopy society wishes to contribute to WEO’s international cross-sectional survey on ERCP training, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive further details.
For more details about WISE, please go to the WEO website, and stay tuned for upcoming news: https://www.worldendo.org/education/weo-international-school-of-eus-wise/
For updates on the WEO Fellowship Program, please visit the WEO website at: https://www.worldendo.org/education/weo-fellowship-program/.
For all other Pancreato-biliary Committee activities, please go to the Committee website at: https://www.worldendo.org/about-us/committees/pancreato-biliary/.